Ipswich pair Nicky Hunt and Michael Peart through to next stage of Olympic qualifying
IPSWICH-based duo Michael Peart and Nicky Hunt have both secured their places in the second round of qualifying for the Olympic Games.
Hunt will join veteran Alison Williamson, who has been to five previous Olympic Games, Amy Oliver, Naomi Folkard, Beccy Martin and Charlotte Burgess in two weekends’ time when two men and two women will be eliminated.
Sunday’s selection shoot saw the number whittled down from 17 to 12 with Peart finishing third in the men’s section on 2,616, behind winner, Larry Godfrey and Lincolnshire’s Simon Terry.
Peart finished six points ahead of Alan Wills, with Rob Hallworth and Andrew Randall the other two shooters to advance as Jon Shales, Sean Evans, Tom Barber and Mark Nesbitt fell by the wayside.
Archery GB performance director Sara Symington said: “It was a very tense, competitive, dramatic weekend, as you’d expect. There were some fantastic performances, some thrilling sub-plots, and for 12 archers the dream lives on.”
You may also want to watch:
The top three men and the top three women will compete at the three-day final shoot from April 19-21 will then compete at Lord’s at this summer’s Olympics.
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour