Ipswich reach semis on penalties
Vintage Cup quarter-final Ipswich 2 Isca 2 (Ipswich won on penalty strokes)Ipswich welcomed Exeter side Isca to Tuddenham Road in this quarter-final of the over 50s cup and eventually won through, as they did in the previous round, on penalty flicks.
Vintage Cup quarter-final
Ipswich 2 Isca 2 (Ipswich won on penalty strokes)
Ipswich welcomed Exeter side Isca to Tuddenham Road in this quarter-final of the over 50s cup and eventually won through, as they did in the previous round, on penalty flicks.
Ipswich started well and were very much on top in the early stages but without creating any clear cut chances and gradually Isca began to dominate the midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Midway through the half the visitors took the lead following when a controversial penalty corner was poorly defended, but Ipswich still felt they were in the game and pushed forward to gain an equaliser.
Shortly before half time though Isca increased their lead following a goal mouth scramble.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 9 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 10 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
At half time the visitors must have thought they had the game in the bag, but Ipswich made some tactical switches which resulted in a much more dangerous attacking formation.
This was eventually rewarded with the award of a penalty flick, despite Irwin having the ball in the net, and Wake converted to give Ipswich hope.
As Ipswich pushed forward chances were being created and belief returned that they could win.
Glading's deft deflection from Wake's cross was well saved but, when the home team won a series of penalty corners, French converted one to pull Ipswich level.
The same player fired inches wide from another corner and Wake was unlucky to see his effort also fly inches wide.
The Ipswich defence performed admirably to keep the Isca attack at bay, but Ipswich now looked the most likely to get the winner.
With the scores locked the match when into a shoot out and, having won in a similar situation in the previous round, Gray, French, Hampton and Whetton stepped up to convert confidently allowing Steward in goal to be the hero of the day as he made two superb saves to put Ipswich into the semi-finals.