Ipswich’s Alfie Powell wins under-21s karate championship
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich’s Alfie Powell is celebrating national success after winning the English under-21 Karate Championships in Sheffield.
As well as winning gold at under-21 level, Alfie also took home silver in the senior category.
“Having only turned 18 in February, I don’t think many people were expecting me to do quite as well as I did in these competitions,” he said.
“There was also a merge in two weight categories, my category -60Kg and the higher weight category of -67Kg, meaning I was fighting against opponents much heavier than me, which also led to people not expecting me to do as well. It was quite a buzz to take part and come home with a gold and silver medal.”
Alfie, 18, travels worldwide to compete in various competitions and in September will be taking part in the K1 Karate Championships in Germany for the first time, a tournament which attracts some of the biggest fighters in the world.
You may also want to watch:
He is also hoping to be selected to represent England at the Indonesian under-21 World Championships in November.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'