Ipswich’s Phil Last faces world number one Mark Foster, while Katherine Rednall loses in semi-finals
Katherine Rednall came close to celebrating an outstanding treble when she competed in the final stages of the All-England Champion of Champions singles event at the Lakeside club on Hayling Island.
Two weeks ago, the 18-year-old Stowmarket sixth-former, who plays for Ipswich, defeated the defending champion Rebecca Field, from Norwich, in the final of the World Bowls Tour Women’s Matchplay singles at Potters Resort.
Only three days later, she stormed to the national women’s under-25 indoor singles title at the Loddon Vale club in Basingstoke, before moving on to Hayling Island, where she was hoping to regain the Warner Holidays national Champion of Champions title she won two years ago.
Opening with an imperious 21-4 win over Barbara Lewis, from Barwell in Leicester, Rednall faced her old rival Field in the quarter-finals, and, although the Norfolk star played well, the Ipswich ace again came out on top.
In the semi-finals and on a surface that was surprisingly bumpy, Rednall was outplayed by her England colleague Julie Leake, who won, 21-13, and went on to win the title with a 21-10 win over Herga’s Pat Kirk.
You may also want to watch:
Mid-Suffolk star Mark Royal, the world number nine collected ten ranking points from his 10-2, 9-4 win against American Neil Furman in the first round of the WBT International Open in Blackpool today.
Standing between Royal and a place in the quarter-finals is world number three Rob Paxton, while PBA qualifier Phil Last, from Ipswich, faces world number one Paul Foster in the first round tomorrow.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 3 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 4 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 5 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 6 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 7 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 8 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 10 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich