Town remain in Pilkington talks but face competition from rivals Wigan
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town remain hopeful of signing winger Anthony Pilkington but now face competition from Championship rivals Wigan Athletic.
Negotiations with the former Norwich man have reached an advanced stage, with the 30-year-old keen to link up with his former Canaries manager Paul Lambert, who brought him to Carrow Road in 2011.
Pilkington has been in Suffolk to meet Lambert, with the Blues offering a significant package as they look to take over his contract to secure a permanent transfer on a deal until the end of the campaign.
But a change in his personal circumstances means a move to the Latics, which would mean he is close to family in the North West, is one he needs to seriously think about.
If the Blues can complete a deal for Pilkington, he will be the fourth player to arrive at Portman Road during the January transfer window.
You may also want to watch:
Following loan deals for Leicester left-back Callum Elder and Hull striker Will Keane, Lambert yesterday completed the capture of Huddersfield striker Collin Quaner on a temporary deal until the end of the campaign.
The Blues are understood to have beaten off competition from Rotherham to secure the services of the 27-year-old German, with a greater financial package on offer at Portman Road.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 7 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
Quaner, who will wear the No.45 shirt at Portman Road, takes Ipswich’s tally of loan players to five.
Matthew Pennington (Everton) and Trevoh Chalobah (Chelsea) have been at Portman Road since the summer and have now been joined by Elder and Keane.
Championship clubs can take as many players as they wish on loan but can only use five in a matchday squad.