Aaron Cresswell: I love it at Ipswich Town
- Credit: Archant
Aaron Cresswell has eased any fears that he may depart Ipswich Town before the transfer window shuts following an impressive return to action.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy called the 23-year-old ‘undoubtedly the best left-back in the Championship’ heading into Saturday’s match and the ex-Tranmere player responded by playing a big part in a 3-0 home win over Millwall.
The Liverpudlian was courted by Aston Villa last summer and has been linked with newly-relegated Wigan more recently, but – with the transfer window open for another three weeks – says he is more than happy for his career to continue blossoming at Portman Road.
“Those things are nice to hear, but the main thing is the team performance each week,” said a bashful Cresswell, when told about his manager’s high praise.
“I haven’t heard anything (about any interest) and I don’t really think about it. I’ve had a great two years here, time flies when you’re having fun, and I’ve got another two left on my contract. I see no reason why I would leave before then.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m still only 23 and I know there’s never a time you can’t stop trying to improve your game. Each training session and each game I’ll look at ways to improve heading into the next match.”
Asked if he has ambitions of one day playing in the Premier League, he added: “Of course. “Every player is ambitious and I’d love to be in the Premiership one day, but I’ve still got two years on my contract and I love it down here.
- 1 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 8 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
“I’d love nothing more than to get promoted to the Premiership with Ipswich Town. And I see no reason why we can’t be competing for a top six finish this season.”
McCarthy said: “I think Cressie is the best left-back in the league. I’m not trying to up his value by saying that because I don’t want to sell any of my players, but I would say that’s probably obvious to most people. If there’s a better one then I’ve not seen him.”