Adam Webster becomes Mick McCarthy’s most expensive signing at Ipswich Town
- Credit: Bluepitch Media / Joe Pepler
Defender Adam Webster has become Mick McCarthy’s most expensive signing ever, Ipswich Town have confirmed.
The defender will become a Blue from July 1st after agreeing a three-year contract from Portsmouth for an undisclosed fee – reported to be £700,000 – with Matt Clarke heading to Pompey as part of the deal
England U19 international Webster, 21, will sign a three-year contract with the option of a further 12 month stay in a deal that will see him become the most expensive signing in Mick McCarthy’s tenure at Portman Road.
The ball-playing central defender, who has been linked with a number of clubs and is tipped to play in the Premier League, has made more than 60 appearances for Pompey since making his debut in 2012 as a teenager.
As part of the deal, Clarke will complete a permanent switch to Fratton Park following a spell on loan with the south coast club last term.
The 19-year-old defender progressed through the Academy ranks at Portman Road to the first-team, making four substitute appearances in the Championship and one start in the Capital One Cup.
He made 33 appearances for Portsmouth last term, scoring one goal.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 5 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
- 10 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- What do you think? Let us know by levaing a comment below!