Agent claims Town keen on his striker
IPSWICH Town are among a number of clubs keen on Belgian striker Emile Mpenza according to his agent Rachid Tajmot.But that appears to be news to the heirachy at Portman Road who are keeping quiet about such speculation.
IPSWICH Town are among a number of clubs keen on Belgian striker Emile Mpenza according to his agent Rachid Tajmot.
But that appears to be news to the heirachy at Portman Road who are keeping quiet about such speculation.
Although Town scouts are fully aware of the player released by Manchester City, and he is a finisher that has impressed in the past, no move has been made for the striker, who will be 30 in July.
The out-of-contract hit-man appears to be in demand and his agent is confident he can get him a new club quite quickly.
Tajmot said: “Emile wants to stay in England. I am negotiating with Bolton in the Premier League, two clubs in the Championship, Reading and Ipswich, as well as Leicester who have been relegated.
- 1 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 2 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 3 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 4 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 5 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 6 Girl, 12, injured after having foot run over by driver
- 7 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 8 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
- 9 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 10 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
"Trabzonspor, who almost signed Mpenza before, are still in the running."
It is understood that Town have not yet made a move for any striker, as they are looking to sort out a goalkeeper and a couple of defenders first.
Heerenveen centre back Pim Balkestein is expected to join next month after a fee was agreed with the Eredivise side for the 21-year-old, while Leicester City's Gareth McAuley is coveted by Town. But manager Jim Magilton could be in for a tussle with Iain Dowie the QPR coach who is also keen on the Irish defender.
The Blues need a defender due to Fabian Wilnis and Jason de Vos leaving the club.
Although he has left Portman Road, Wilnis has been granted a testimonial match by the Blues after almost ten years service but the game is unlikely to be played before the new season starts as Town have arranged their pre-season.
Blues chief executive Derek Bowden said: “A committee representing Fabian have made an official approach to the club over hosting a game as part of a testimonial year and given his time and service to Ipswich Town, we are happy to oblige.”
Wilnis is understood to be still considering whether to carry on playing, but is also planning to take his coaching badges.