All-Star Town line-up for Doncaster game
IPSWICH TOWN: Stars of yesteryear will be lighting up tomorrow’s Championship game against Doncaster Rovers at Portman Road (kick-off 3pm).
The 31st players’ reunion dinner takes place at Portman Road tonight with many former Blues stalwarts staying over to take in the penultimate home game of the season.
They will be looking down on Roy Keane’s current crop of Town players and hoping they can see enough to suggest an improvement in fortunes next term.
Players from Town’s 1961/62 First Division title win under the management of Sir Alf Ramsey will be represented by Ray Crawford and Larry Carberry, while a host of players involved in Sir Bobby Robson’s golden years at Portman Road will also be present.
During the evening, arranged by Robson’s former secretary Pat Godbold plus former players Simon Milton and Bryan Hamilton, the latest Hall of Fame nominations will be inducted.
Mick Mills, Ted Phillips, Crawford and John Wark were inducted in 2007, John Elsworthy, Frans Thijssen, Kevin Beattie and Jimmy Leadbetter (posthumous) in 2008.
Last year it was George Burley, Arnold Muhren, Billy Baxter and Allan Hunter with special merit awards going to Sir Bobby Robson and Pat Godbold and a posthumous award to Roy Stephenson.
- 1 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 2 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 3 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 6 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 7 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 8 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 9 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 10 Matchday Live: McGreal's Town behind at The Valley
Over 200 people are attending tonight’s dinner including 76 ex-players and they include: Mick Mills, Ray Crawford, John Wark, Kevin Beattie, Eric Gates, Allan Hunter, Brian Talbot, George Burley, Alan Brazil, Roger Osborne, Paul Cooper, Russell Osman, Mick Lambert, Clive Woods, Trevor Whymark, Ian Atkins, Mick Stockwell, Jason Dozzell, Chris Kiwomya, David Linighan, Adam Tanner, Matt Holland, Clive Baker, Larry Carberry and Cyril Lea.