Big ITFC survey: The results are in and Ipswich fans have full faith in McCarthy’s promotion chasers
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Three-quarters of Ipswich Town fans have ‘100 per cent confidence’ in manager Mick McCarthy and have also backed their side as favourites for promotion from the Championship.
More than 75 per cent of those polled in our pre-season survey are completely happy with McCarthy, with a further 20 per cent happy with his management of the club but convinced by his style of football. Just over two-and-a-half per cent responded to say they are not a fan of the Irishman, while two per cent remain undecided.
When it came to who is going to be promoted from the second tier this season, 60 per cent of respondants backed the Blues to go one step better than last season and achieve promotion, with Middlesbrough polling 59 per cent and Derby 56.
One in four Town fans believe their side are destined for automatic promotion, with 56 per cent expecting play-off football. Just two per cent predicted a bottom-seven finish.
If the Town fans are right it’s going to be a long old season for Rotherham, with 70 per cent tipping them for the drop, while MK Dons, Bristol City and Hudderfield are also expected to be in danger.
You may also want to watch:
In terms of the Town squad, nearly 75 per cent believe it’s looking better than this time last year, with 89 per cent identifying the club’s strikers as their strongest area of the pitch and 68 per cent expecting Tyrone Mings to be the most-missed of the players who departed the club in the summer ahead of Paul Anderson on 19 per cent.
Town’s attacking options got plenty of attention, with 35 per cent expecting Brett Pitman to be the club’s best new signing, 30 per cent predicting David McGoldrick to be the club’s key player and 31 per cent backing Freddie Sears to be the club’s top scorer ahead of Daryl Murphy.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex