Blackpool dangerman Phillips was on Jewell’s radar
PAUL Jewell knows all about the threat posed by Blackpool’s veteran striker Kevin Phillips.
That is because the Ipswich Town boss targeted the 38-year-old as a potential summer target but was pipped by Saturday’s opponents.
And with Phillips joint Championship top scorer, with four goals in five games, Jewell will be hoping he is not left to rue the turn of events after Saturday’s match.
Jewell said: “He’s a terrific player, even now he’s still performing. We actually spoke about bringing him here but Blackpool seemed to tie that one up quite early.
“He’s just a natural goalscorer and even though he’s 38, he’s still got a huge appetite for the game and is a terrific finisher.”
You may also want to watch:
Believing a trip to Blackpool to be one of the toughest away days this season, Jewell added: “They’ve got some really good players and Ian’s put together a good squad.
“Even though they got relegated last year I think they still came down with a lot of credit from the way they played. They’ve been brilliant since Ollie (Holloway) arrived and they’ve carried that good work on.”
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Meanwhile, it has been reported that Town midfielder Jimmy Bullard has launched an appeal against his sacking from Hull City – meaning the matter will now go forward to a Football Association commission.