Bowyer signs for the Blues
LEE Bowyer has become Paul Jewell’s fifth summer signing – and immediately joined his new team mates for their tour of the Netherlands.
The combative 34-year-old midfielder agreed a one-year contract with Ipswich Town with an option of a second year.
Contrary to some reports, Bowyer completed his medical over the weekend when it is also thought he met with Jewell before the Town boss joined a party of about 30 players and staff who flew out to the Netherlands yesterday.
The former Leeds, Charlton, West Ham and Newcastle midfielder last year helped Birmingham City win the Carling Cup but he was released by the newly-relegated club at the end of the season.
The move is no great surprise given Jewell’s desire to bring in more experienced characters to his squad and the fact that the centre of midfield was seen as a priority following David Norris’ departure.
You may also want to watch:
Bowyer, who has one England cap, joins fellow new signings Michael Chopra, Nathan Ellington, Ivar Ingimarsson and Aaron Cresswell with Jewell expected to add to his ranks further before the new Championship season kicks off next month.
- 1 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 7 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 8 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 9 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 10 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide