BREAKING NEWS: Cheick Kourouma on the verge of signing for Ipswich Town
IPSWICH Town are on the verge of signing long-term triallist Cheick Kourouma on a one-year deal.
Recommended to the club by former player Ibrahima Sonko, Frenchman Kourouma – a 20-year-old box-to-box midfielder – has been training with the Blues all summer and played in a number of their pre-season friendlies.
Red tape has frustratingly held up the move though, with Town having to contact every single one of the clubs he has played for since the age of 12 in order to prevent any future compensation claims.
Kourouma, whose former clubs include Real Zaragoza (Spain), Sochaux (France) and Genoa (Italy), returned to France to try and speed up the process by personally negotiating with some of his former employers.
Progress still remained slow, with Blues boss Paul Jewell admitting that just a few days ago he had virtually given up on being able to sort out a deal before tonight’s 11pm deadline.
You may also want to watch:
However, the player’s representative has told the Green’Un that two pieces of important paperwork have been secured today, meaning the deal should be completed in time. All the deal now needs is routine Football Association and Football League rubber-stamping.
Kourouma, currently situated in Paris but whose English is getting better by the day, will sign a one-year at Ipswich Town. The club will then hold the option of extending that by a further year.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 6 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 7 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 10 Plans for new 'ambitious' housing development moves forward
– Keep an eye on this website for all the latest.