Bullard told agent: ‘Get me signed for Ipswich’
JIMMY Bullard says he instructed his agent to sort out a permanent move to Ipswich Town.
The 32-year-old – a free agent having had his contract terminated by Hull – couldn’t wait to sign a two-year contract at the club where he enjoyed himself so much on loan last season.
“I enjoyed my time here so much last season and it was always on my mind that I might be able to come back on loan,” said the midfielder, who will wear his lucky number 21.
“As it turns out I’m here permanently and I’m delighted. It seems like I haven’t been away to be honest.
“It’s a fresh start and I just want to get back playing football and enjoying myself. That’s what it’s all about.
You may also want to watch:
“My last game was for Ipswich, against Preston at home, so the ball seems a bit triangle at the minute! It’s entirely up to the manager when I start, if I start, if I’m in the squad.”
Asked about the way things ended at Hull, Bullard said: “My lawyers are dealing with it now. That’s all I can say really.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
“I was waiting for my registration to come through earlier this week to say I was on a free and I was getting a little bit worried I wouldn’t get a football team.
“When I knew Ipswich were interested though, bloody hell, it was an easy decision.”
Asked about the reported interest in him from Premier League clubs – said to include QPR, Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton – Bullard said: “To be fair sometimes you (the media) find out before the player to be honest – I don’t know how! Some of it is speculation, but my agent Simon Dent has been brilliant and kept me informed.
“As soon as I knew Ipswich were interested it really pricked my ears up. I just told my agent, ‘go and get that for me’.
“I did want to play in the Premier League, I’ve always said that, but I see this as a Premier League club. The players that have been brought in, the owner, everything, the size of the club is huge. It really was a no-brainer.
“It wasn’t so much as a turn down to other clubs, I don’t think it got that far. I talked a little bit to Queens Park Rangers but that never really got going. My agent will be able to tell you more.
“For me I just wanted to play football. Whenever I spoke to Paul (Jewell) it wasn’t about terms of contract, it was always about football.”
– For all the latest Ipswich Town news, see tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.