Cambridge United dismiss Roy Keane buyout rumour
CAMBRIDGE United have moved to distance themselves from rumours that former Ipswich Town manager Roy Keane is interested in buying the club.
Speculation surfaced this morning that Keane was interested in the cash-strapped Blue Square Bet Premier side.
But a spokesman for Cambridge said: “I can confirm we, as a club, have not received any official approach from Roy Keane with regards to acquiring Cambridge United Football Club.
“The club is up for sale and we would of course be very interested to hear from him, or any other parties, who feel they can come to the club with a proposal to help get us back to where we want to be in the coming years.
“We are a club with a proud and rich 100-year history, but unfortunately we are where we are. We would love to hear from anyone who feels that they have the passion and the commitment to make Cambridge United great again.”
You may also want to watch:
Rumours on the internet had claimed that Keane, who was sacked by Ipswich in January, was considering a buyout of the U’s, currently 17th in the conference.
Keane still lives just outside Ipswich and often spoke about his love of the area while in charge at Portman Road.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 9 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
In January, United chairman Paul Barry put the club up for sale in the hope of finding new investors or indeed a takeover bid.
- For more on this story, keep checking this website throughout the day