Capello stopped me from postponing my wedding – Stockdale
ONLY a quiet word from Fabio Capello stopped David Stockdale from postponing his wedding.
But the Ipswich number one wasn’t getting cold feet, it was just his way of underlining his commitment to England.
Now Stockdale, who has been forced to miss two national squads due to his nuptials and then the London riots, is hoping that helping Ipswich climb the Championship table will continue to impress the England manager.
The keeper, who is on loan from Fulham, has been named in Capello’s squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Wales and will be hoping for better luck after his two false starts.
He explained: “I got in the squad against Denmark and sat on the bench which was a proud moment in my career.
You may also want to watch:
“With the second game against Switzerland, I was due to get married the day before and was willing to change my wedding for it.
“But Mr Capello said there was no real rush, I should enjoy my wedding as I only get married once.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 9 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
“I have been a bit unlucky. But I just want to keep improving and keep getting in. And if I improve and Ipswich improve, maybe there will be more to come.”
After suffering heavy defeats at the hands of Southampton and Peterborough prior to Saturday’s win over Leeds, Stockdale admitted an England call-up was the last thing on his mind.
He said: “I have let in 12 goals. Whether it was my fault, it still reflects on myself.
“I am looking to improve as an Ipswich player, as a goalkeeper, as a person while I am here. And if England comes about, so be it.”
Stockdale, who is one of three keepers named alongside Joe Hart and Rob Green, added: “Nothing on the Championship, but he (Capello) doesn’t normally pick people from there but this season a few big clubs have come down.
“It is a big lift for me and to have Ipswich Town’s name on the England squad list, as well as Fulham, it’s a big thing.”