Chance to play with legends
SUPPORTERS are being offered the opportunity to line-up alongside Ipswich Town Legends in a fund-raising match at Stowmarket Town.
John Wark, who lives in the Stowmarket area, is organising the Ipswich Town Legends XI which will include Matt Holland, Jason Dozzell and Mick Stockwell.
The match is taking place at Ridgeons League Division One side Stowmarket Town’s Greens Meadow ground against a Stowmarket Town Legends XI, managed by former boss Trevor Wardlaw, on Sunday, August 1, kick-off 3pm.
And supporters are being invited to enter a raffle at �5 a ticket for the chance to win a place alongside the stars of yesteryear for a minimum of 10 minutes, if not longer. The first four names drawn will play for Ipswich and the next four for Stowmarket.
Wark, who moved to the Stowmarket area two years ago, said at the official launch: “You always want to help your local team and I am willing to do that and hopefully it will be a big success.”
The former goalscoring midfielder, who is off to Denmark to play for Liverpool Legends later this month, took part in the match at Great Yarmouth last season when Ipswich defeated Norwich City.
“Matty (Holland) played in that match and I said he could still play for the (Ipswich) first team as he is still fit enough. Hopefully he will be doing the running in midfield because Jason Dozzell and Geraint Williams won’t!”
- 1 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 6 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 7 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
Wardlaw, who is now in charge of Kingsley Healthcare SIL Division Two side Claydon, said he was “very honoured” to manage the Stowmarket side.
He said of his opponents: “It says much for the good name of Stowmarket Town that those players have volunteered to come and play here – it is a very good line-up.
“In these games you may get three or four names, but to get a whole team of relatively household names and heroes in Suffolk is very good.”
Wardlaw, who had 15 years at the club in various roles, said the occasion will be a celebration of 25 years of Stowmarket playing at Greens Meadow.
He said he has a squad stretching to 60 names, but three players in particular he hopes will play some part in the match are Paul Browes, Matt Platt and Nigel Vincent, who each made several hundred appearances for the club.
Ipswich Town Legends XI squad: James Holman, Mick Stockwell, Kevin Steggles, John Wark, Gavin Johnson, Simon Milton, Jason Dozzell, Matt Holland, Kevin Horlock, Geraint Williams, Alex Mathie, Chris Kiwomya and Kevin Inglis.