Christophe Berra out for a month as Ipswich Town sign Polish defender, ahead of Brighton clash
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town defender Christophe Berra will miss tomorrow’s home Championship clash with Brighton, and is expected to be sidelined for around four weeks.
The Scottish centre-half injured his hamstring in training on Monday and will be absent for tomorrow’s top-of-the-table clash, with Josh Emmanuel set to come in at right-back and Luke Chambers moving over to centre-half.
Daryl Murphy, Teddy Bishop, Kevin Bru, Luke Hyam and Jonathan Parr remain injured, but goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski returns to the squad following compassionate leave.
McCarthy, whose side will have a two-week international break following tomorrow’s game, has confirmed the signing of Polish defender Piotr Malarczyk, but it is unlikely the 24-year-old will be involved against the Seagulls.
As for Berra, manager Mick McCarthy said: “This is the first time he (Berra) has really had an injury here, I suppose.
“He will miss Saturday’s game, won’t play for Scotland during the international break, and may miss the first game back.”
Meanwhile, McCarthy confirmed Town could be in the market for another signing before Tuesday’s transfer deadline at 6pm.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 4 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 5 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 6 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 7 'Fans are disgruntled - I understand it' - Cook on Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 8 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 9 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 10 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
“Maybe, the might be one more,” said McCarthy.
Asked whether or not he will be busy on the phone next Tuesday, McCarthy added: “Not unless someone wants one of my players.
“I won’t be too busy.”