Clemence backs Stockdale’s England call-up
LEGENDARY England keeper Ray Clemence believes David Stockdale’s loan move to Ipswich Town will enhance his international credentials.
The Blues number one impressed during Saturday’s fantastic 3-0 win at Bristol City - making one fantastic point-blank save to deny Nicky Maynard in the second half. And with Clemence watching on at Ashton Gate, the 25-year-old’s fantastic league debut was capped with his third England call-up just hours later for Wednesday’s match against the Netherlands at Wembley.
Speaking exclusively to www.greenun24.co.uk, Clemence, who has 61 caps for his country and is still a member of Fabio Capello’s backroom staff, said: “He (Stockdale) is obviously a good keeper. He needs to start playing regular football and that is what he starting to do.”
And Stockdale’s manager, Paul Jewell, was equally impressed: “Dave Stockdale was quality, he made a great save at a vital time and he has terrific distribution of the ball.”
It was a tale of two keepers on Saturday with Stockdale a stand-out performer for Town while his opposite number, David James, gifted Michael Chopra’s second to make it 3-0.
You may also want to watch:
And a third custodian was on the agenda after the game when Jewell confirmed Marton Fulop had joined Premier League West Brom on a free transfer.
The Town boss said: ““We wish Marton well, he is a terrific professional. But if you are going to play second fiddle, you might as well go to the Premier League.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
“We are on tenterhooks with David because he is on recall but it is a chance we are going to take and hopefully it will work out for us.”
Jewell revealed he would be looking to bring in another keeper, in the wake of Fulop’s departure, but cooled questions about former Town favourite Richard Wright, who is reportedly training with Cardiff City.