Dean Saunders expects interest in James Coppinger – but he hasn’t spoken to Paul Jewell
DONCASTER Rovers boss Dean Saunders has admitted he expects star man James Coppinger to leave in the summer.
Relegated Rovers are bracing themselves for a number of key departures as they prepare for League One football next season.
But it is the name of Coppinger which will most interest Ipswich fans after Paul Jewell targeted him last summer and admitted last week he would be interested in renewing a bid.
But while Jewell said on Thursday that he would speak to Saunders after Saturday’s match between the two sides, the Rovers boss said: “Paul Jewell hasn’t spoken to me. I know he was interested last summer but I haven’t heard anything.
“He’s (Coppinger) got two years left on his contract. I would imagine some clubs will come in for him.
You may also want to watch:
“Some players, I really don’t want to lose but if a Championship club comes in and offers them more money, I can’t really stop them.
“Now the season is over with, people will probably start making some moves but there are lots of teams still playing, in the other divisions and the play-offs.”
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 7 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 8 New plans for village cafe, shop and business units divide opinion
- 9 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay
Saunders added defenders George Friend and Tommy Spurr to the list of players he expects to leave the Keepmoat.