Delight in Danny could lead to new deal
IPSWICH TOWN: Paul Jewell has admitted he would be “foolish” not to attempt to tie Danny Collins into a longer deal if the defender continues his fine form.
Collins, who has formed a formidable centre-back partnership with Ibrahima Sonko, is only three weeks into a three-month loan deal but has quickly become a crowd favourite with his no-nonsense style of defending.
And on the day the 31-year-old was named in the Wales squad for their Euro 2012 qualifiers against Switzerland and Bulgaria, Jewell has revealed he is eyeing Collins’ future at Portman Road very closely.
The Town boss said: “If he continues to play like he has done, we will be foolish not to offer him something. He has been terrific for us, not just in matches but around the training ground.
“He gives us that experience and with him and Sonko at the moment, they have been a base for our clean sheets. I am really pleased with Danny.”
You may also want to watch:
Jewell goes into tomorrow’s match with a fresh doubt over Lee Martin who is suffering from an eye injury while Daryl Murphy’s hamstring remains troublesome.
Mark Kennedy was expected to resume training yesterday and Jewell said Ivar Ingimarsson is “chomping at the bit” to get back into the first team, but must first find a way past impressive centre-back duo Ibrahima Sonko and Danny Collins.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy