Departures look more likely than arrivals for Ipswich Town on loan deadline day
DEPARTURES look more likely than arrivals for Ipswich Town before today’s 5pm ‘emergency’ loan deadline.
Blues boss Paul Jewell is on the look-out for another centre-back. Both Ibrahima Sonko (hamstring) and Damien Delaney (foot) are injured, with the Suffolk side having conceded 10 goals in their last three games.
“I’ve tried to get a couple of players in, but all the same Championship clubs are trying to get the same players from the Premier League,” said Jewell, at Thursday morning’s press conference.
“We are a bit light on centre-halves due to injury and that is one area we have tried to strengthen.
“If we don’t get anyone in then I will be more than confident that the squad we have got can help us climb up the table.
You may also want to watch:
“Sometimes you can get a bit jittery and panic in this loan window. January is not too far away and might be the time to strengthen more.”
Jewell confirmed he is an admirer of Aston Villa and England Under-21 midfielder Gary Gardner, but the youngster has joined Coventry this morning.
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
The Blues boss says he was offered striker Rob Hulse on loan from QPR yesterday, but rejected the chance to take him – despite letting Tamas Priskin join Derby on loan until the New Year.
He also insisted that QPR defender Danny Shittu – linked with a move – is not a player on his radar.
Meanwhile, a trio of young players could be exiting the club on loan today.
Striker Ronan Murray – scorer of two goals against West Ham in a friendly on Tuesday – looks set to join Paolo Di Canio’s League Two club Swindon Town.
Left-sided Irishman Shane O’Connor could also join League Two side Northampton Town, while Jewell – who released midfielder Colin Healy this week and signed keeper Richard Wright on a free transfer – revealed that Luke Hyam is available.
– Keep an eye on this website throughout the day for all the latest Ipswich Town news.