Edwards facing World Cup elimination – already
CARLOS Edwards could tonight see his chances of appearing in another World Cup disappear – despite the fact the tournament is still more than two-and-a-half years away.
The Ipswich Town player will line up for Trinidad and Tobago in Guyana knowing a defeat in the CONCACAF Zone second round qualifier will already spell the end of the Soca Warriors’ dreams of competing in the next World Cup in Brazil.
Edwards, who played in the 2006 tournament in Germany, is expected to line up as a right wing-back in the crucial match which sees Trinidad trail tonight’s opponents by one point.
Only the group winners will go through to the third qualifying stage with the teams meeting again in the Trinidadian capital, Port of Spain, on Tuesday night.
Elsewhere tonight, Tamas Priskin will be hoping to feature in Hungary’s home friendly against Liechtenstein while Keith Andrews has been named in the Republic of Ireland team for the first leg of their Euro 2012 play-off in Estonia.
You may also want to watch:
David Stockdale will be hoping to get his first taste of England action tomorrow against World and European champions Spain – although Tuesday’s friendly against Sweden seems more likely.
* For more on Andrews’ Euro 2012 dream, see today’s EADT and Evening Star
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 8 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside