Evans shares my “burning ambition” – Jewell
PAUL Jewell has hailed the impact of Ipswich Town owner Marcus Evans claiming the mysterious millionaire shares his ambition to achieve success at the club.
The Blues boss believes his owner is “as good as anyone” at supporting a manager with Evans’ commitment to the club again emphasised by the release of the club’s annual accounts on Monday.
The owner put in almost �7 million of his own money in a 12-month spell up to June – and is set to back Jewell when the transfer window reopens in the new year.
The faith shown in the manager is certainly reciprocated by Jewell who has moved to reassure Town fans that the club’s future is in safe hands.
“We both want the same for the team – that’s to get the club to the Premier League,” confirmed the manager. “That’s my burning ambition, that’s why I came here. That’s why he is here, the quicker we do it, the better. “But sometimes you have to take a couple of knocks back to go forward. I’ve had plenty of knocks in my life, and in my career, and I like to come bouncing back, because I am a fighter and I know he is.”
You may also want to watch:
Jewell believes that Evans is sometimes treated with suspicion among supporters because of his decision to shun any publicity since taking over the club in 2007.
He explained: “He has unbelievable drive and ambition. It’s just a shame people don’t know him because he is completely committed to getting this club where we all think it can go.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 2 Bishop on his 'brutal, almost disrespectful' Ipswich exit, not fitting into Cook's system and why he's 'absolutely loving' life at Lincoln
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 5 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
“He has been terrific. We have a really good, open and honest relationship. We speak all the time. For ambition and as a backer, Marcus Evans is as good as anyone.”
Jewell confirmed that he expected to have some funds in January although the manager appears to be largely targeting youngsters to compliment the experienced big names he brought in during the summer.