Ex-Ipswich Town midfielder Lee Bowyer shoots 79 in bid to qualify for Open golf championship
FORMER Ipswich Town midfielder Lee Bowyer has left himself with a mountain to climb in his bid to qualify for the Open golf championships.
Just two months after Paul Jewell opted against offering Bowyer an extended deal at Portman Road, the veteran midfielder has turned his attention to a very different sport.
But the ex-Town man today shot a 79 at The London Club during regional qualification for the prestigious tournament.
Also in the field was West Ham midfielder Gary O’Neill who teed off this lunch-time – three-and-a-half-hours after Bowyer, who made 29 appearances in his one and only season with Ipswich, scoring twice.
Jewell made the decision not to offer Bowyer a second year after the midfielder insisted he didn’t want to be a bit-part player.
You may also want to watch:
The Blues boss insisted the player he signed on a free 12 months ago could carve out a successful career in coaching.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 9 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina