Fans hoping for lucky number 13
The number 13 might be unlucky for some.
But Ipswich Town fans will be hoping Paul Jewell breaks with that superstition and recruits his 13th summer signing in time for the return of the Sky cameras.
Hot on the heels of defender Danny Collins making it a dozen, the Ipswich Town boss must surely be concerned about his options on the right hand side of his team following the 2-0 defeat by Blackpool on Saturday.
Jewell once again shunted Grant Leadbitter out wide at Bloomfield Road who manfully did his best in the first half before he was sacrificed for the second successive match.
It is the time for the manager to stop playing square pegs in round holes – meaning Josh Carson or Jay Emmanuel-Thomas are the only options in the current squad for the troublesome right midfield role.
You may also want to watch:
Or maybe not. Carlos Edwards was one of the only Town players to rise above the mediocrity at Blackpool, offering an attacking threat especially in the first half.
Edwards has spent much of his career as an orthodox right-winger and many supporters would like to see him move back further up the field. But for this to happen, Jewell will need to bring in another defender on loan.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
- 8 From favourites to outsiders - odds on Town winning League One drift widely
- 9 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
The manager must decide what’s the biggest priority – a right-back or a right midfielder – with Edwards occupying the other position in next Monday’s televised match at home to Coventry City.
But whatever he decides, supporters will hope that number 13 is a lucky signing to help Town push up the Championship table.