FANS VIEW: Carlos Edwards should be given a new deal – but make him a utility man, not a right-back
EVERGREEN Carlos Edwards deserves a new Ipswich Town contract – but manager Paul Jewell should be looking to use the versatile player as utility man rather than first choice right-back next season.
That was the general consensus of supporters who responded to yesterday’s EADT story which revealed that Blues boss Paul Jewell has voiced concerns over the 33-year-old’s age and defensive abilities heading into the final months of his current deal.
It is understood that the Trinidadian – who has started 52 out of Jewell’s 54 games in charge – is willing to accept a reduced salary but with increased appearance pay and a clause which would see him gain another year if he started at least 23 league games next season.
Here are a selection of comments from those that contacted the paper.
– Paul Tilman: “Think the terms put to the club are fair. He has performed well out of position.”
You may also want to watch:
– Joe Street: “Think he deserves the deal. Has made some errors playing at the back but always puts in a decent shift.”
– Guy Thornton: “He doesn’t have a divine right to a contract. Defending is suspect.”
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 9 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
– Wil Cook: “If we sign another right-back then by all means keep him on for another year.”
– Matt Chambers: “Don’t care about his age, you wouldn’t know by watching him. Sign him up!”
– Richard Moss: “He was our best player Saturday; solid, reliable, but not first choice at right-back next season for me though.”
– Marc Fowler: “Clean strike, good crosser, impressively mobile – definitely sign him up.”
– Adam Cuthbert: “Should be given a one year deal, but if Jewell wants rid of a few older pros then maybe it’s the right time for him to go.”
– Matty Stanley: “Still need a right-back, but Carlos is a good back up and useful winger!”
– Andy Cross: “A great asset going forward but shaky in defence. Get a natural right-back in and move him up to midfield.”
– George Hutchings: “Carlos definitely deserves a new deal. Very good crosser, always looks assured on the ball and his experience is valuable.”
– James Parry: “Has given his makeshift roll 100% and deserves a contract on the back of that! We still need a right-back.”
Readers of the original story on this website were asked if Edwards should be given a new deal – 51% voted yes, 49% voted no.