Forget i-Pad’s and modern managers, Bruce is one of the best, says Ipswich Town boss
Ipswich v Hull: Blues boss Mick McCarthy has hailed Steve Bruce’s credentials as the pair get set to go head-to-head today, when Ipswich Town host Hull City.
The duo both have experience of guiding teams out of the Championship, Bruce at Birmingham (twice), and McCarthy, twice as a league winner, with Sunderland and Wolves.
Bruce has taken the Tigers to second in the Championship and is aiming to elevate them back into the big time for the first since 2010.
“He (Bruce) is a good manager and has had success wherever he’s been,” said McCarthy.
“He is a similar age to me. My era, my ilk I guess. They (clubs) start looking for new younger managers with their i-Pads on the sidelines, which is great – we can all do that – but he knows what he’s doing.
You may also want to watch:
“He thought he was going to get the Wolves job but didn’t and took Hull. He is more than capable of managing in the Premier League, he took the gamble of taking a Championship club and they look like ending up there.
“He will be under huge pressure as they have been there all season and they are in the top two with five games to go.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Busy high street taped off by police
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 9 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 10 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
Meanwhile, Bruce has backed McCarthy for the job he has done since his arrival at Portman Road.
“The team he’s put together is typical Mick. If you want a team to scrap and fight for you, you build a team in his image,” said Bruce.
“I’ve been a pal of his for a long, long time. Any Mick McCarthy team that you play against, you know you’re going to get a tough game because that’s what he demands.
“He demands nothing less than 100% and the results have shown exactly what he’s done there.
“It’s five clean-sheets on the bounce and when Mick builds from the back, you know you’re going to find it difficult against one of his sides.”
He added: “I don’t think we try and pretend we’re something we’re not.
“We’re old school, both former centre-halves and we just get on with it. We’re pretty straightforward people and what you see is what you get.
“I’ve gone head to head with Mick for years. When I was Birmingham, he was at Wolves and we had some great battles. I’ve got a lot of time for Mick.”