Forget i-Pad’s and modern managers, Bruce is one of the best, says Ipswich Town boss
Ipswich v Hull: Blues boss Mick McCarthy has hailed Steve Bruce’s credentials as the pair get set to go head-to-head today, when Ipswich Town host Hull City.
The duo both have experience of guiding teams out of the Championship, Bruce at Birmingham (twice), and McCarthy, twice as a league winner, with Sunderland and Wolves.
Bruce has taken the Tigers to second in the Championship and is aiming to elevate them back into the big time for the first since 2010.
“He (Bruce) is a good manager and has had success wherever he’s been,” said McCarthy.
“He is a similar age to me. My era, my ilk I guess. They (clubs) start looking for new younger managers with their i-Pads on the sidelines, which is great – we can all do that – but he knows what he’s doing.
“He thought he was going to get the Wolves job but didn’t and took Hull. He is more than capable of managing in the Premier League, he took the gamble of taking a Championship club and they look like ending up there.
“He will be under huge pressure as they have been there all season and they are in the top two with five games to go.”
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 5 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 8 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 9 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 10 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
Meanwhile, Bruce has backed McCarthy for the job he has done since his arrival at Portman Road.
“The team he’s put together is typical Mick. If you want a team to scrap and fight for you, you build a team in his image,” said Bruce.
“I’ve been a pal of his for a long, long time. Any Mick McCarthy team that you play against, you know you’re going to get a tough game because that’s what he demands.
“He demands nothing less than 100% and the results have shown exactly what he’s done there.
“It’s five clean-sheets on the bounce and when Mick builds from the back, you know you’re going to find it difficult against one of his sides.”
He added: “I don’t think we try and pretend we’re something we’re not.
“We’re old school, both former centre-halves and we just get on with it. We’re pretty straightforward people and what you see is what you get.
“I’ve gone head to head with Mick for years. When I was Birmingham, he was at Wolves and we had some great battles. I’ve got a lot of time for Mick.”