FULL-TIME: Ipswich are made to rue first half errors as they exit the FA Cup at Hull City

INDIVIDUAL defensive errors once again ended up costing Ipswich Town as they exited the FA Cup with a 3-1 defeat at Hull City.

Aaron McLean and Tom Cairney took advantage of mistakes from Ibrahima Sonko and Arran Lee-Barrett during a five minute first half spell.

Ipswich improved significantly after the break though and pulled a goal back through Jason Scotland in the 57th minute.

The Blues then pushed hard for an equaliser but couldn’t quite force one, conceding a counter-attack goal in injury-time – Cameron Stewart the scorer – to exit the competition at the third round stage for the fifth time in eight years.


You may also want to watch:

Following an even and open opening start to the match, the hosts broke the deadlock in the 27th minute.

Robbie Brady’s clever reverse through ball was to be admired, but Blues centre-back Ibrahima Sonko still looked favourite to get there ahead of striker Aaron McLean. Instead he was outmuscled and the striker was able to toe-poke home from close range.

Most Read

Town’s former Tigers defender Damien Delaney limped off before the game could be restarted. He was replaced by Tommy Smith – making his first appearance since being sent-off in the 7-1 defeat at Peterborough back in August.

Five minutes later Hull doubled their lead when, with little apparent danger, Tom Cairney lobbed an audacious chipped effort over a back pedalling keeper Arran Lee-Barrett from 25 yards out.

Blues boss Paul Jewell responded by abandoning his 4-4-1-1 formation for a more defence-minded 4-1-4-1 system, leaving Nathan Ellington up top as the lone front man.

It’s was the same old story for Ipswich who were punished for individual defensive errors. Nottingham Forest hadn’t scored in seven games before their 3-1 win at Portman Road on Monday, while Hull had gone three games without scoring before this match.


Jason Scotland replaced the ineffectual Nathan Ellington at half-time.

Town – now with the young legs of Hyam and Carson in the middle – improved significantly though, their new formation enabling them to play more compact football.

The deficit was halved in the 57th minute when Emmanuel-Thomas – now playing on the right wing – collected a raking Hyam switch pass and unleashed a powerful effort from out on the touchline. Keeper Vito Mannone spilled the shot and Scotland was there to gobble up the rebound.

Town then proceeded to ask all the questions, with Michael Chopra coming on for Hyam – the latter having a tidy game on his return to the first team following a lengthy spell out-of-favour.

Emmanuel-Thomas had the best chance to force an equaliser, but his chip past on-rushing keeper Mannone inside the box was poor in the 69th minute.

Grant Leadbitter headed straight at the keeper at the start of injury-time, with Hull going straight up the other end to add a flattering feel to the scoreline through Cameron Stewart’s breakaway goal.

– Reaction to follow.

HULL CITY (4-2-3-1): Mannone; McShane, Hobbs (cpt), Cooper, Dudgeon; McKenna (Olofinjana 70), Cairney; Garcia (Evans 81), Brady, Stewart; McClean (Simpson 90).

Subs: Peet, Dawson, Chester, Cullen.

IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-1-1): Lee-Barrett; Edwards, Sonko, Delaney (Smith 29), Cresswell; Carson, Leadbitter (cpt), Hyam (Chopra 75), Murphy; Emmanuel-Thomas, Ellington (Scotland 46).

Subs: Wright, Ainsley, Whight, Martin.

Referee: Mr C Pawson

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter