FULL-TIME: Ipswich Town 2 Huddersfield Town 2

Ipswich v Huddersfield: Scott Loach’s superb penalty save ensured Ipswich Town grabbed a deserved share of the spoils in an entertaining score draw at Portman Road.

The Blues were unfortunate to trail 1-0 at the break, with Adam Clayton’s 35th minute long-range shot the difference between the sides after an even opening 45 minutes.

Town levelled things up in the 62nd minute when Luke Chambers bundled home from close-range after Daryl Murphy had nodded back Andy Drury’s deep free-kick. Ten minutes later the hosts were in front when Michael Chopra raced clear to dink a cool finish over on-rushing keeper Alex Smithies.

Huddersfield equalised in the 80th minute when striker James Vaughan converted Danny Ward’s low cut-back.

It kick-started a crazy spell in which Chopra hit the post at one end only for the Terriers to counter and win a penalty, awarded for a clumsy foul by Murphy on Jack Hunt.

It looked like the script was written for Norwich City loanee striker Vaughan to seal Town’s defeat when he stepped up to take the spot-kick. However, a lengthy delay – the referee strangely only awarding the stonewall penalty after consulting with his assistant – allowed Loach to whip up the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand into a frenzy.

And after it all had died down he flung himself to his right to superbly push Vaughan’s effort onto the post.

Most Read

Both sides tried to win it at the death, with Chopra having a strong penalty appeal turned away following a coming together with Clayton in the box and Loach staying big to block a late Vaughan shot.

– Reaction to follow.

IPSWICH TOWN (4-2-3-1): Loach; Ainsley, Chambers (cpt), Smith, Cresswell; Drury, Luongo; Taylor (Scotland 90), Martin, Murphy; Chopra.

Subs: Lee-Barrett, N’Daw, Emmanuel-Thomas, Hyam, Carson, Murray.

Booked: Drury (50)

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN (4-1-2-1-2): Smithies; Dixon (Gerrard 68), Clarke (cpt), Hunt, Lynch (Woods 85); Clayton, Norwood, Ward; Southern, Novak, Vaughan.

Subs: Bennett, Hammill, Arfield, Lee, Spencer.

Booked: Vaughan (85)

Attendance: 16,843 (830 away)

Referee: Mick Russell.