Gallery: Hundreds of fans watch Ipswich Town stars train
HUNDREDS of Ipswich Town fans flocked to see their heroes in action at a free public training session at Portman Road today.
For many it was their first chance to see several of Paul Jewell’s new signings, including recent captures Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and David Stockdale.
The lower half of the Cobbold Stand was packed out with families and “Blues Crew” members. They got the opportunity for photographs at the end of the players’ training.
In all more than 2,000 fans attended, and they were enthusiastic about the upcoming season.
Sydney King, 67 from Mildenhall, said: “I think we’ve got a better squad than last year.
You may also want to watch:
“We have been playing good football. It makes a change from the last two years which just wasn’t exciting enough for me.”
Keith Digweed, 65 from Woodbridge, said: “I think a lack of goals let us down last season. Michael Chopra should get a few goals this season though.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 8 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
- 9 From favourites to outsiders - odds on Town winning League One drift widely
- 10 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
“It will take time to get promoted. There are a lot of good clubs in this division, like Leicester who have brought in some good players.”
41-year-old Tracey Foxlow said: “We should aim for top ten this season - on paper we’ve got a half decent striker which we didn’t have last season.”
After their final pre-season friendly at home to Wolves this Saturday, Town’s first league game is away at Bristol City on August 6.
- Buy tomorrow’s papers for more