GALLERY: Squad number hints on first day back
THERE were four new faces at Playford Road this morning as Ipswich Town returned to training ahead of the 2011/12 season
Latest summer signing Aaron Cresswell joined fellow new additions Michael Chopra, Nathan Ellington and Ivar Ingimarsson as manager Paul Jewell put his squad through their paces.
And in a possible hint as to squad numbers – and starting line-up – for the up-and-coming campaign, players were wearing new numbers on their training kit:
Chopra was sporting the number 10, with Jason Scotland – last season’s wearer of that number – handed 14 following Jimmy Bullard’s exit.
Centre-back Ingimarsson has Gareth McAuley’s old number four, while left-back Cresswell seems to have taken the number three from Shane O’Connor. Striker Ellington has taken the previously unassigned number 18 shirt.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Connor Wickham – who this week sealed an �8.1m move to Premier League club Sunderland – was also there to say his goodbyes to his former team mates.
“It’s like the first day back at school,” said Jewell, who is frantically trying to strengthen his squad ahead of his first full season in charge at Portman Road.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 3 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 4 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 5 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 6 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 7 Road outside Ipswich closed after two cars collide
- 8 Hits, misses, an 'unseen' suspension, a few goals and two still without clubs - how the departed Ipswich players are faring ahead of Bishop reunion
- 9 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 10 Appleton not shocked by Town's slow start but expects Cook's men to 'click' soon
“I’m really excited and looking forward to what’s ahead.”
Click the link in the top right for a gallery of images.
– More from Jewell in tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star.