Harry not expecting any reinforcements
HARRY REDKNAPP does not expect reinforcements to arrive before Portsmouth take on Ipswich in the third round of the FA Cup tomorrow.Redknapp has always known he will lose four players to the African Cup of Nations - Sulley Muntari (Ghana), Papa Bouba Diop (Senegal) and Kanu and John Utaka (Nigeria) - so he is looking to bring in loan or free signings as soon as he can.
By Derek Davis
HARRY REDKNAPP does not expect reinforcements to arrive before Portsmouth take on Ipswich in the third round of the FA Cup tomorrow.
Redknapp has always known he will lose four players to the African Cup of Nations - Sulley Muntari (Ghana), Papa Bouba Diop (Senegal) and Kanu and John Utaka (Nigeria) - so he is looking to bring in loan or free signings as soon as he can.
But even though Pompey are backed by French owner Sacha Gaydamark, Redknapp insists he will not have any money to spend as he seeks to plug the holes left by the influential quartet's absence.
Even so Redknapp is upbeat over the chances of strengthening his team during the current transfer window.
He said: “We are looking for a couple of loans or, if we can find them, a couple of frees.
- 1 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 2 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 3 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 4 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 5 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
- 6 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 7 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 8 Big sales, Bosmans and 'mutual consent' - Why contracts are a balancing act
- 9 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 10 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
“I know where there's one or two players who can do a good job for us if we can get them without spending any money. We'll see what we can do.
“You look at some of the clubs who have got plenty of players and there might be a player or two somewhere.
“When the African boys go away we have exactly 14 outfield players, genuinely, so we have got to get a couple from somewhere.
“But I don't think we'll get any before the cup, we are not close to doing anything at the moment.”
Redknapp has been linked with a move for Real Mallorca striker Dani Guiza. The £4m-rated hitman, 27, has scored eight goals in 17 La Liga games this season.
Redknapp is looking to raise some cash by selling Matthew Taylor, who has not had much of a look-in since Hermann Hreidarsson signed from Charlton, and Noe Pamarot, who is recovering from a hamstring, has forced his way in.
Pompey hope to also have Sean Davis back from a foot injury, while Pedro Mendes is feeling weak after recovering from a virus.
Tomorrow's cup clash pits Ipswich, who have the best home record in the Championship, having been unbeaten since last March, against Pompey, who have been red hot away from home, losing just once, against Liverpool, in their past eight games on the road. They have the best away record in the Premier League.