I know I’m not flavour of the month – Paul Jewell
PAUL Jewell has compared his side to a pub team after their woeful 4-0 defeat at Burnley last night.
An inept performance stretched the losing streak to six games and heaped more pressure on the beleaguered Blues manager.
And the furious boss pulled no punches after watching his side concede two in each half and not have a single shot in the whole 90 minutes.
He slammed: “I can’t put up with a gutless, spineless effort like that. There is a lot of people with big reputations in that team and everyone talks about what a good experienced team we are, but they are not putting out.
“People can all talk the talk, but at the minute they are not doing it. It is unbelievable. Not so long ago we were looking like a decent team, anyone watching that will think we’re like a pub team.”
You may also want to watch:
In front of more than 300 die-hard Super Blues, many of whom didn’t get home until 3am this morning, Town put in a shambolic showing with only third choice keeper Arran Lee-Barrett stopping an even bigger hiding.
They have now conceded a truly shocking 17 goals in five games and are only out of the Championship relegation zone on goal difference.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 9 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
Despite going into the match talking of easing the pressure on Jewell, their performance suggested different with the ‘big names’ of Ipswich letting everyone down.
And Jewell conceded: “I’m not stupid. I know if you lose six games in a row you aren’t going to be the flavour of the month. If he (owner Marcus Evans) thinks its best to make a change, that’s entirely up to him.
“There are a lot of reputations out there but I don’t see any of them getting in anyone else’s team.
“This is Ipswich Town and that wasn’t good enough for a team of this great tradition. I am proud to be manager of Ipswich Town and I think some of them think it is just another game.”