I’ll repay Paul Jewell with 30 goals this season says Michael Chopra
FROM his worst-ever season to his best.
That is what Michael Chopra is predicting for the months ahead – starting with continuing to bring some Dutch delight to Town fans in tonight’s second pre-season friendly against Den Bosch.
The striker is acutely aware he still has to win over a section of supporters after his top-scoring first season at Portman Road was overshadowed by a string of court cases and a public admission of his gambling problem.
Chopra admits Paul Jewell could have called time on his fledgling Town career but that just makes him more determined to follow his worst ever season as a footballer with his best campaign.
He said: “I am feeling strong, I’m feeling fit – probably the best I have been for four years thanks to the club and the gaffer.
You may also want to watch:
“People have stood by me – it would have been easy for the manager to wash his hands of me and I am grateful for what they have done. Hopefully I can kick on now.
“I have got a lot of belief in my ability. I scored 14 goals last year and it was probably the worst season I have had, with things on and off the pitch.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 5 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 6 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 7 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 9 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 10 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
“For me to score 14 goals and play such a bad standard in my eyes, I believe when I am fit and at my best, I believe I can get 25 to 30.”
* For a full interview with Chops, buy today’s Ipswich Star and EADT