Ipswich manager Jewell names three strikers he would like to have
PAUL Jewell today named three Championship strikers he would like to have at Portman Road.
The lack of an out-and-out marksman is cited by the Blues boss as the main reason his side is currently in the bottom half of the Championship table.
He has set his sights on bringing one – if not two – to the club by the time the 2011/12 campaign kicks-off in August.
Tamas Priskin cost previous manager Roy Keane �1.7million from Watford 18 months ago and has scored five league goals in 49 appearances.
Jason Scotland has scored nine league goals in 31 appearances having cost �750,000 from Wigan last August with neither setting the world alight since their arrival.
You may also want to watch:
“The lad down the road at Norwich City, Grant Holt, plus Billy Sharp and Danny Graham will get you 20 goals a season, which is something that we have not got right now,” said Jewell.
“With a player like that we would be somewhere close to the play-offs.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 5 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 8 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 9 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 10 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
“We need players next season that will help those we have at the moment.
“We are doing a lot of good things and the players are working hard but we are falling short in certain areas.
“In both boxes we certainly are as I’ve stressed before, and we have to be alert at all times particularly from set pieces and throw-ins.
“When the ball goes out of play quality players come alive.”
Jewell knows the danger posed by a Scunthorpe side that changed manager on Wednesday after a 3-0 home defeat to bottom club Preston North End.
Youth team coach Tony Daws has taken temporary charge after the dismissal of Ian Baraclough, and Jewell said:
“It’s disappointing that Ian Baraclough lost his job. It gives Tony Daws his chance and it’s an opportunity for someone I used to play against.
“Hopefully he’ll get beaten this weekend and then do okay.”
Today’s likely squads
Ipswich Town: Fulop, Lee-Barrett, Edwards, McAuley, Delaney, Kennedy, O’Dea, Peters, Martin, Dyer, Drury, Leadbitter, Bullard, Healy, Norris, Civelli, Wickham, Priskin, Scotland, O’Connor, Hyam, Brown.
Scunthorpe United: Lillis; Nolan, Nelson, Reid, Gordon; Duffy, Togwell, O’Connor, Garner; Miller, Dagnall, Hughes, Raynes, Collins, A Wright, J Wright, Grant, Slocombe, Mirfin.
Referee: Mr D Webb (County Durham)
IF Tamas Priskin plays today it will be his 50th league appearance for Ipswich. He has made 27 starts with 22 substitute appearances – scoring five goals.