Wark and Holland lead the way as Ipswich Town announce 12 legends to be honoured in Portman Road makeover
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have announced the 12 players who will be honoured as part of the club’s rejuvenation of Portman Road.
Approaching 2,000 season ticket holders responded to a request from the club to cast their votes for the dozen players they wanted to feature on the 12 pillars running through the concourse of the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand.
Midfielders John Wark and Matt Holland led the voting, with the 12 largely made up of players from Sir Bobby Robson's sides of he late 1970s and early 1980s.
Mick Mills, Terry Butcher, Paul Mariner, Kevin Beattie, George Burley, Frans Thijssen and Arnold Muhren were all voted for by supporters, while Ray Crawford of Sir Alf Ramsey's great Ipswich side was also named.
Marcus Stewart and Jim Magilton join Holland in representing Burley's Ipswich side which won promotion to the Premier League and then finished fifth, qualifying for Europe.
You may also want to watch:
Current skipper, Luke Chambers, finished 15th in the voting.
The tribute to the 12 should be in place before the end of the season and is one part of a makeover taking place at Portman Road.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
The stairwells in the Sir Bobby Robson Stand and the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand will feature club graphics while the history of the club will be portrayed in the windows in the Cobbold Stand over the summer.
Flags featuring other iconic players will be in place next week in the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand concourse while a Legends of Ipswich Town mural in the Sir Bobby Robson Stand has proved popular with supporters.
Ipswich Town's 12 Pillars
1 John Wark
2 Matt Holland
3 Mick Mills
4 Terry Butcher
5 Paul Mariner
6 Kevin Beattie
7 George Burley
8 Ray Crawford
9 Arnold Muhren
10 Frans Thijssen
11 Marcus Stewart
12 Jim Magilton