Ipswich Town boss still interested in Stephen Henderson and Richard Stearman
- Credit: Archant
Mick McCarthy has not ruled out making moves for former loan stars Richard Stearman and Stephen Henderson, but insists he may find it difficult to sign the duo.
West Ham goalkeeper Henderson and Wolves defender Stearman, both made sizeable impacts under McCarthy last season, helping guide the Blues to Championship safety.
Stearman, played in a rock-solid defence towards the end of the season, while Henderson made the number one spot his own before being recalled by Hammers.
McCarthy is desperate to add to his defensive options with just Luke Chambers, Tommy Smith, Elliott Hewitt, Aaron Cresswell and Tyrone Mings at his disposal, while Scott Loach requires competition between the sticks, following Arran Lee-Barrett’s release.
“They’re both under contract with their clubs, Which kind of makes life difficult. We’ll keep looking and trying,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
was really good for us - I need another goalkeeper. Richard Stearman was excellent for us - and I’m looking for another defender,” said McCarthy, who is overseeing his first pre-season at the Suffolk club.
“I’m not surprised I’m being linked to everybody.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“I will wait and try and make sure we do the right deals, but I’ve got a really good nucleus from the team I kept last year.”