‘We’re going to Russia for the World Cup’: Knudsen’s Denmark book their place by thrashing Ireland
- Credit: PA
Ipswich Town defender Jonas Knudsen will be looking to play his way into the Denmark squad for next summer’s World Cup between now and the end of the season, after his side booked their place in Russia.
The Danes thrashed Ireland 5-1 in Dublin to seal their spot, with Knudsen an unused substitute at the Aviva Stadium.
But he will now be looking to do enough to book a place in Age Hareide’s squad for next summer’s finals, having been called into the play-off squad as a late injury replacement.
It looked as though Ireland were in control of the contest after Brighton defender Shane Duffy headed them in front early on, but the visitors hit back as a hat-trick from Tottenham’s Christian Eriksen, a Cyrus Christie own goal and a strike from Nicklas Bendtner sealed their spot.
The on-pitch celebrations soon continued to the Denmark dressing room with Knudsen tweeting: “What a win!We’re going to Russia for the World Cup. Thank you to the Danish fans for the great support! You were fantastic support!”
Knudsen has two Danish caps to his name but has not added to his tally since joining the Blues from Esbjerg in the summer of 2015.
Tommy Smith will be looking to reach his second World Cup finals when he takes part in New Zealand’s play-off second leg with Peru in the early hours of Thursday morning, with the first leg having finished 0-0. Young striker Monty Patterson is also in the New Zealand squad.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 4 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 5 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 6 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 7 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 8 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
- 9 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 10 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
Elsewhere in international action, Flynn Downes stayed on the bench during England Under 19s’ 1-0 victory over Bulgaria in their European Championship qualifier, while Bersant Celina has returned to Portman Road and was not involved in Kosovo Under 21s’ clash with Azerbaijan due to a prior agreeement.