‘Thanks for the memories... but it’s the right decision’ - Ipswich fans have their say after McCarthy quits
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town fans have had their say following Mick McCarthy’s departure following the victory over Barnsley on Tuesday night.
McCarthy had been due to depart when his contract expires at the end of the season but, after watching his side beat Barnsley 1-0, revealed he has ended his reign early.
The Blues boss departs at a time when the club sits 12th in the Championship table having overseen finishes of 14th, 9th, 6th, 7th and 16th.
Supporters were quick to have their say on social media following news of the manager’s departure, with many thanking him and also-departing assistant Terry Connor for their work over the last five-and-a-half years but acknowledging it is now right to part ways.
MORE: Stu says: Five observations following Mick McCarthy’s dramatic exit announcement
Goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski also had his say, thanking McCarthy. He wrote on Twitter: “I would like to thank Mick and Terry for the work they’ve done for this club.
“Absolutely gutted to see them go but that’s football I guess. They gave me a chance by signing me for ITFC, put a lot of faith in me and trusted me.
“I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed every single day working with them. I’m sure they gonna be back at work sooner rather than later. Thank you and see you soon.”
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 8 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
Former Ipswich defender Aaron Cresswell, sold to West Ham in 2014, wrote: “Gutted to see Mick & TC go, done a unbelievable job over the last 5 years. Won’t be long before he’s back at it. The Grass isn’t always greener.”