Ipswich Town go to Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup second round
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town will go to Crystal Palace in the second round of the Carabao Cup.
The Blues progressed past Luton Town in the first round of the competition and will visit the Premier League Eagles, who start their top-flight season at home to Huddersfield Town, under new boss Frank de Boer, on Saturday.
The teams have only met once in the competition before, 21 years ago when two goals apiece from Paul Mason and Alex Mathie gave the Blues a comfortable 4-1 victory at Portman Road.
Town could come up against former Blues loanee Jonny Williams, who spent a number of temporary stints at Portman Road in the last few seasons.
The teams’ last meeting at any level came in April 2013, when three goals in eight minutes, from Frank Nouble (two) and Aaron Cresswell, gave the Blues a 3-0 Championship win over the Londoners, who were eventually promoted via the play-offs that season.
You may also want to watch:
The tie will be played in the week commencing Monday 21st August.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Matchday Live: Goalless at the break in first game of a new era at Town
- 9 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 10 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed