Tractor Girls hit seven as they reach fourth straight county cup final
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk FA Women’s Cup Ipswich Town 7 Ipswich Wanderers 0 Ipswich Town Ladies reached their fourth straight Suffolk FA Women’s County Cup final with a compelling 7-0 victory over Ipswich Wanderers at Ransomes Sports Pavilion, writes Kieren Standley.
Wingers Zoe Cossey and Sophie Welton both hit braces, with Amanda Crump, Miagh Downey and Natasha Thomas completing the scoring for the free-scoring Blues.
Town took the lead after 12 minutes when Cossey and Welton linked up, with the latter following up at the back post with a composed finish after a great driving run and cross from Cossey. Despite a number of chances throughout the first-half, the Blues would go into the break with just the single goal advantage.
To her own surprise, Cossey could have made it 2-0 early in the second-half as she rose highest to Crump’s corner, but her close range header was denied by the crossbar.
However Downey did double the Blues’ lead just moments later as she broke into the area, held off her covering defender and fired into the far corner. Cossey then got herself on the scoresheet in fortunate circumstances as Thomas smashed the inside of the post with a curling effort, with the Town winger alert to follow in on the line for the easiest of goals.
Town then scored twice inside a minute. First, Crump followed in after Wanderers’ keeper’ Danni Lynch spilled Cossey’s cross, then Welton notched her second of the afternoon with a simple tap in after Thomas laid the ball on a plate for the Blues’ winger.
Welton then had two further chances to complete her hat-trick but to her frustration, spurned both opportunities.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 When will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk today?
- 3 Highways chiefs fear 'severe impact' of 1,375-home plans
- 4 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 6 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 9 Road closed after two-vehicle crash in Suffolk village
- 10 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
Thomas then got herself on the scoresheet, firing low and hard into the bottom left corner from just inside the area. Cossey completed the rout with six minutes remaining as she burst into the area and fired the ball at home the near post, with the help of the woodwork.
Town now await AFC Sudbury in the final, with the game taking place at Colchester United’s Weston Homes Community Stadium on Monday May 7, kick-off 12pm. The Tractor Girls are expected to return to league action this Sunday, with their upcoming home game against Enfield Town likely to be to re-scheduled to that date.