Ipswich Town one of six clubs in talks with Rodolph Austin
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Ipswich Town are one of six clubs in talks with out-of-contract midfielder Rodolph Austin, the EADT and Ipswich Star understands.
The 30-year-old – who was a Town target back in January – was released by Leeds United at the end of last season and his all-action, combative style is seen as the perfect replacement for Luke Hyam, the latter set for four months on the sidelines following knee surgery.
Austin is a wanted man, however, having starred as skipper for Jamaica at the CONCACAF Gold Cup. The Reggae Boyz recorded a shock 2-1 semi-final win over the USA in Atlanta yesterday to become the first Caribbean team to reach the final since its inception in 1991. They will face Mexico on Monday.
A source close to the player said: “Rudy is in talks with six different clubs, including Ipswich Town. He is currently concentrating on the Gold Cup and will consider his club future over the coming weeks.”
Championship clubs Middlesbrough, Wolves and Bolton have all been linked with Austin this summer, as have Scottish side Celtic.
Meanwhile, teenage French striker Andy Faustin will join the Blues on trial with view to becoming part of Mark Kennedy’s Under-21 squad.
The 18-year-old made three starts and three sub appearances for Valenciennes’ second team in the fifth tier of French football last season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 2 'It's a contractual issue' - McKenna explains Simpson recall
- 3 Photographer secretly recorded couple in bedroom of his Suffolk holiday home
- 4 Two incidents of indecent exposure within 20 minutes in Suffolk village
- 5 Town skipper Morsy handed four-game ban after Accrington charge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich players performed in their 2-0 Wimbledon win
- 7 Award-winning east Suffolk restaurant temporarily closes ahead of takeover
- 8 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 9 AFC Wimbledon 0-2 Ipswich Town: It's Burns Night as winger inspires win
- 10 'It was worth it!' - Town co-owner has a celebration scar
Elsewhere, former Town winger Paul Anderson – released at the end of last season – is reportedly on trial at League One side Scunthorpe.