‘I know he’s hungry to succeed’ – Ipswich Town sign Chelsea youngster Trevoh Chalobah on loan
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Ipswich Town have confirmed the signing Chelsea youngster Trevoh Chalobah on a season-long loan.
New Blues boss Paul Hurst revealed that the club were ‘very close’ to announcing the addition of the versatile teenager when his players started pre-season training at Playford Road this morning.
Chalobah – who turns 19 next month – has captained England at various age groups and was part of the Three Lions team which won the European Under-19 Championships last summer, along with Blues midfielder Andre Dozzell.
Last month, Chalobah was among the young England players Gareth Southgate invited to join his senior squad for training sessions at St George’s Park ahead of the World Cup finals.
Yet to make his Chelsea debut, he was named on the bench for the FA Cup Final victory against Manchester United back in May.
You may also want to watch:
“He can play either central-midfield or centre-back,” said Hurst. “I think either of those he can equally be as good. He’s a very good player, very highly thought of. Whichever position he plays he’s very comfortable on the ball.
“Speaking to him he sees the importance of this loan. If we do manage to secure that signing we’ll have fought off quite a bit of competition for him.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 8 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 9 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 10 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
“I think he’ll be a great addition.”
He added: “He’s at an age where people might question him as he’s a bit young. There will be demands put on him that he might not have encountered in the past but from speaking to him I know he’s hungry to succeed.
“I like players who maybe have a little bit of something to prove and in Trevoh’s case, he’s got a lot to prove. There’s a lot of good publicity around him in terms of potential but he understands, and he wants to go out and deliver.”
Meanwhile Town have been linked to two players from the lower leagues today.
Centre-back Curtis Tilt was a key man as Blackpool finished 12th in League One. It was an impressive first season in the Football League following previous spells at Forest Green, Wrexham and Telford.
The 26-year-old is said to be a target for Town, QPR, Reading and Portsmouth.
Kane Vincent-Young is also said to be a Town target after turning down a new contract at Essex neighbours Colchester United.
The versatile 22-year-old – a right-footer who played left wing-back last season – has made 80 appearances for the U’s, mostly in League Two.
A former Tottenham youth team player, he was coached by Town academy supremo Bryan Klug during the latter’s time at the North London club.
Because of his age, Colchester would be due compensation should he sign for another club.