Ipswich Town’s greatest games: Blues win First Division title in 1962
- Credit: Dave Kindred
In today’s look back at Ipswich Town’s greatest games, we relive the extraordinary day in 1962 that the Blues shocked the footballing world by winning the First Division title.
Ipswich Town 2 Aston Villa 0,
April 28, 1962
Surely the most extraordinary day in the illustrious history of Ipswich Town Football Club.
Alf Ramsey’s collection of has-beens and cast-offs had shocked the football world a year earlier when they were promoted to the First Division. They were universally written off as relegation certainties.
You may also want to watch:
But, as the season went by, incredibly Town found themselves in the race for the title, alongside mighty Spurs and Burnley.
Prolific strikers Ray Crawford and Ted Phillips were banging in goals left, right, and centre, supplied by Ramsey’s deep-lying wingers, Jimmy Leadbetter and Roy “Rocky” Stephenson.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 7 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 8 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 9 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 10 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
It was a revolutionary tactic which flummoxed First Division defences and, four years later, would see England to World cup glory.
On the final Saturday of the season, in front of nearly 29,000 fans, Town knew they must win against visitors Aston Villa.
The first half was frustrating, but in the 72nd minute a diving header from Crawford brought the breakthrough. Four minutes later, Crawford struck again.
Town had done their bit, and a few minutes after the final whistle came the news that Burnley had only drawn.
Ipswich were First Division champions – arguably the greatest-ever achievement in English football.