Ipswich Town striker David McGoldrick delighted to end the season on a positive note
Striker David McGoldrick was delighted his penalty ensured Ipswich Town finished their season on a positive note.
The Irish international rolled home his spot kick following Richard Keogh’s foul on Teddy Bishop, which was enough to earn the Blues a 1-0 win at Derby on the final day of the season.
While disappointed his side were unable to make the play-offs this season, McGoldrick believes the Blues finished the season in the right way.
“We wanted to do that since we found out we couldn’t make the play-offs and we all sat down and said we couldn’t let our standards drop,” he said.
“Since then we’ve gone to some strong places and we’ve done well, we’ve come to Derby today, who are still in the play-offs and played a strong team because they wanted to win, and we won 1-0.
“We managed to grind out a 1-0 win and it’s great to have been able to finish off with a win.”
McGoldrick was also pleased to be able to give the club’s fans something to cheer about, following a tough run saw the Blues fall away from the promotion race.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
“They fans deserve it too, they’re always with us and have brought over a thousand to this one,” he said.
“It was a game in which where there was nothing really to play for for us, and they’ve come in their numbers which we’re very thankful for.
“They made noise throughout and it’s great to have been able to send them off with a win.”