‘He is an obvious target’ - McCarthy on McGoldrick transfer links
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Mick McCarthy believes David McGoldrick is an ‘obvious’ transfer target for other clubs during the January transfer window.
McGoldrick, into the final six months of a contract which does not include an option to automatically extend it, is thought to be interesting both Cardiff and Birmingham.
McCarthy insisted he doesn’t want to lose the striker but admitted there could be a scenario where his departure could benefit the club in the long-term.
“He is an obvious target,” McCarthy admitted. “None of us want to lose him but we’ll see what happens.
“There is the short-term view on the four months left of the season and then the long-term where, if he was to go, it wouldn’t be great for the short-term but if we replace him with somebody younger then that may well be beneficial for the long-term.
“That’s if. ‘If’ somebody wants to come and take him.
“We’ve had a bit of a bumpy road Didz for a long time, we’ve had bids from Leicester apparently and he’s had injuries.
- 1 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 2 15 strikers that Ipswich Town could turn to for goals this summer
- 3 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 4 5 miles of congestion on A14 after crash involving car and two lorries
- 5 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 6 Plans for 20 homes in Suffolk village unanimously refused
- 7 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 8 Bent names Town stars among his best-ever team-mates
- 9 Family's support for 'mum-in-a-million' after double amputation for sepsis
- 10 Man who punched ex-partner in face appeared 'unusually angry'
“I just say to him ‘keep playing as well as you can’ because you get your rewards by playing well in this game and doing what you do.”
The Ipswich boss admitted during his press conference on Friday that he had been contacted regarding players in his squad but that interest had not been firmed up.