Ipswich Town supporters unsure if Harry Redknapp is the answer
IPSWICH Town supporters may want a change of manager – but many are unsure whether Harry Redknapp would be the right man to replace him.
The former Tottenham boss – who led the London club to a fourth-place Premier League finish last season and was favourite for the England job just a few months ago – is a close confidant of reclusive Blues owner Marcus Evans.
And with Paul Jewell coming under increasing pressure following five defeats from six, some bookies reportedly stopped taking bets on one of football’s biggest personalities becoming the next Town manager, over the weekend.
However, when more than 1,000 supporters voted on a series of polls held by this newspaper during a live and interactive webchat yesterday lunchtime, there was a only a marginal 60-40 per cent split in favour of Redknapp coming to Portman Road.
There was another twist yesterday too as Bournemouth – who are based close to the ex-Southampton and Portsmouth boss’ south coast home – revealed they would like him to work in an advisory role at the League One club.
You may also want to watch:
With emotions running high among Town supporters after back-to-back home defeats against Wolves and Charlton took the loss tally to five from six, just 28% of those polled said that Evans is right to stand by Jewell.
In fact, a sizeable 43% went as far as to say that they would rather see their team lose the next few matches if it led to a change in boss, while 49% said they will not be attending games at Portman Road while Jewell was still in charge.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 10 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
The problem is, following Roy Keane’s hiring and firing, the majority of those polled – 69% – said they do not believe the reclusive Evans will make the right decision over the manager’s job.
– See today’s EADT and Ipswich Star for plenty of supporters’ comments. To have your say, leave a comment below. Missed yesterday’s webchat? Visit: http://www.greenun24.co.uk/live_chat_2_10700