Town U23s to face Blades in play-offs after victory
- Credit: Ipswich Town
Ipswich Town's U23 side finished their excellent season with a 2-0 win at Crewe Alexandra this afternoon.
Kieron Dyer's charges took victory through a Matt Ward strike and an own goal, both in the first half.
The three points mean that Dyer's men finish second in the South Division of Professional Development League Two.
Town will now face Sheffield United, who won the North Division, in the play-offs.
A date for that clash will be confirmed in due course.
With Town's senior side struggling through another dreadful season, the youth teams have at least given fans something to cheer.
As well as the U23s' success, the Blues' U18 team have reached the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup, seeing off several sides ranked above them.
- 1 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 5 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 7 Ipswich Town 2-1 Accrington Stanley: Blues fight back to beat scrappy visitors
- 8 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 9 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 10 Town loanee Kenlock scores first professional goal on Colchester debut
They'll host Liverpool in the last four at Portman Road on Saturday, May 15.
Town U23 starting XI: Town: White, Andoh, Stewart, Clements, Crane, Healy, Page, Chirewa, Ward, Simpson, Oppong.