Town U23s to face Blades in play-offs after victory
- Credit: Ipswich Town
Ipswich Town's U23 side finished their excellent season with a 2-0 win at Crewe Alexandra this afternoon.
Kieron Dyer's charges took victory through a Matt Ward strike and an own goal, both in the first half.
The three points mean that Dyer's men finish second in the South Division of Professional Development League Two.
Town will now face Sheffield United, who won the North Division, in the play-offs.
A date for that clash will be confirmed in due course.
With Town's senior side struggling through another dreadful season, the youth teams have at least given fans something to cheer.
As well as the U23s' success, the Blues' U18 team have reached the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup, seeing off several sides ranked above them.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
They'll host Liverpool in the last four at Portman Road on Saturday, May 15.
Town U23 starting XI: Town: White, Andoh, Stewart, Clements, Crane, Healy, Page, Chirewa, Ward, Simpson, Oppong.