Ipswich Town understood to be closing in on Steve Davies and George Friend
IPSWICH Town are understood to be edging closer to the signings of Derby County striker Steve Davies and Doncaster Rovers defender George Friend.
Speaking after last night’s 2-0 pre-season friendly win at Cambridge United, Blues boss Paul Jewell revealed that he was keen on adding a striker, plus at least two more extra faces, to his squad before the Championship opener against Blackburn Rovers at Portman Road on August 18.
And the EADT and Ipswich Star understands that the Blues boss is closing in on transfer-listed Derby County striker Steve Davies and left-sided Doncaster Rovers defender George Friend.
The Blues have been trying to negotiate a transfer fee for wantaway front man Davies for a number of weeks, with Rams boss Nigel Clough insisting he will only sell at the right price.
The 24-year-old was left out of a squad that travelled to Mansfield last night though, with it understood that the two clubs are close to agreeing a fee somewhere between their two valuations of �1million and �500,000.
You may also want to watch:
Middlesbrough have already had a �250,000 bid accepted for Friend, but Town are understood to now be leading the chase are making a late move yesterday,
And if Davies does sign, then Town’s interest in free agent Emile Heskey – understood to have been sounded out be Jewell – could cool.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 6 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 8 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 9 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
Not willing to be pushed on speculation, Jewell said: “There’s always reports. Listen, I’ve spoken to a number of players and agents over the summer. I don’t hide the fact that we want another forward as well as two other players in the squad.
“I don’t really want to discuss any private conversations I may have had. I understand you guys (the media) have a job to do, but sometimes conversations – whether it’s with Emile Heskey or someone else – have to remain private until something is definite.”
Meanwhile, Jewell rubbished speculation that Nottingham Forest have made an enquiry about centre-back Damien Delaney,
He said: “I haven’t heard from them and I don’t think there’s anything in it. The last person I spoke to yesterday afternoon was telling me that Danny Collins is going to Forest. I don’t know if they’d want two left-sided centre-backs, but I certainly haven’t had any contact from Nottingham Forest.”
Ipswich Town have made four summer signings so far, bringing in keeper Scott Loach (Watford, �150k), right-back Elliott Hewitt (Macclesfield, �150k), centre-back Luke Chambers (Nottingham Forest, free) and Massimo Luongo (Tottenham, season-long loan).